Eating excess, acidic foods can harm our health. To counteract their effects, it is important to indulge in so-called “alkaline” foods, whose role is to promote the acid-base balance of our bodies. How do they work? What are they? And for what benefit? Explanation.
Alkaline foods, sometimes called “alkaline foods”, those with high pH. They are opposed to so-called “acidic” foods. An acidic food has a low pH.
“It should not be understood that “acid tastes” but those with a low pH and which produce acidity in the body during their digestion.“, noted Marie-Laure André, dietitian-nutritionist.
Additionally, these products are said to be responsible for an inflammatory condition in the body Metabolic acidosis. It can cause many health problems such as fatigue, headaches, insomnia, constipation and bloating, skin problems (acne, brittle nails, brittle nails etc.) and hair problems (hair loss), hypersensitivity to stress and tendency to gain weight.
In the long run, acidic food also creates a bed of diseases like cardiovascular pathologies, osteoporosis and inflammatory conditions like arthritis, tendonitis. According to a study published in November 2017, it can also be responsible for liver problems.1. To counterbalance these effects, the solution is to include alkaline foods in your menu more often: their combination promotes the acid-base balance of our body and allows for more harmonious functioning and better health! Ideally, our plate should consist of 70% alkaline foods and 30% acidic foods. How do we know if our body is out of balance? Is our diet too acidic? By simply dipping a pH measuring strip into his urine. You will see the level of acidity present in your body.
List of alkaline foods
Foods are classified according to their degree of alkalinity: this is the PRAL index, potential renal acid load, which is pure. The PRAL index developed by scientists takes into account three parameters: the amount of minerals in food, its bicarbonate content and protein content. If the result is above zero, the product is called “acidification”, if it is at zero, it is called “neutral”, below this value, it is “alkaline”. You can find the PRAL Index on the Internet.
Here is a list of alkaline foods:
- Results: Cherries, bananas, apples, lemons, dates, watermelons, strawberries, blackberries, black currants, mangoes, apricots, raspberries, grapefruits, kiwis, figs, pears, nectarines, pineapples, oranges, peaches and grapes;
- Vegetables: Spinach, asparagus, avocado, broccoli, carrots, garlic, beets, celery, bell peppers, seaweed, fennel, zucchini, pumpkin, cabbage, kale, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, green beans, lettuce, endive, leeks, onions, Dandelion cucumber and parsley, as well as potatoes;
- Legos: Lentils, chickpeas, beans, white beans, mung beans etc. ;
- Oleaginous seeds and fruits: Pumpkin, sunflower, squash and flax seeds, almonds, walnuts, Brazil nuts and cashews;
- Spices and Herbs: ginger, curry, mustard, black pepper, cardamom, rosemary, thyme, dill, coriander, nutmeg, cayenne, tamari and cinnamon;
- Dairy products: Fermented milk;
- Drinks: Drink with water, lemon, mineral water, vegetable juice, fermented milk, tea;
- Sweets: honey, brown sugar;
- Fatty matter: Rapeseed, linseed, olive and sunflower oils.
With this list of alkaline foods, you have enough to imagine your next recipes!
Limit acidic foods
Conversely, it is recommended to reduce the consumption of acidic foods. These include:
- Protein: White meat, red meat, charcuterie, eggs, fatty fish (salmon, herring, sardines…), fatty fish (whiting, sole, trout, perch, cod…), seafood (periwinkles, oysters, clams, etc.), shellfish ( lobster, crab, oyster, shrimp, etc.);
- Serial: whole wheat, brown rice, rye, barley, spelt, buckwheat, quinoa, wholemeal bread, rusk and wholemeal pasta;
- Dairy products: Pasteurized milk, fresh cream, butter, fromage blanc, yogurt, cheese;
- Sweet Products: maple syrup, white sugar;
- Drinks: Alcohol, soft drinks such as soda, industrial fruit juice;
- refined foods Such as pasta and white rice, white bread and white flour.
Benefits acid-base balance
Alkaline foods prevent the risk of cardiovascular disease
Packed with antioxidants and minerals like vitamins A, C and E, selenium and zinc as well as polyphenols, Active ingredients that protect the cardiac system from the damaging effects of free radicals, alkaline or alkaline foods are an asset in preventing the risk of heart attack.
Alkaline foods are also a source potassium, a mineral that promotes contraction of muscles, including the heart, and participates in nerve impulses. Thanks to this, it promotes good cardiovascular function, fights high blood pressure and prevents the occurrence of cerebral vascular accidents (CVA). In short, all good for the body!
Alkalizers contribute to good bowel function
Benefits of alkaline foods? in their wealth fibers. If fruits and vegetables are among the alkaline foods, whole grains are part of the acidic foods. Their combination promotes good intestinal transit, provides a quick and long-lasting feeling of satiety, ideally nourishes our intestinal microbiota, participates in the fight against cancer, including colon, breast and stomach, and plays a role in the good health of our heart. By reducing the level of bad cholesterol in the blood.
Alkaline foods help prevent diabetes
The glycemic index is a value that measures a food’s ability to raise your blood sugar levels: the higher it is, the more the food raises blood sugar levels and makes its bed in the long run. type 2 diabetes; Conversely, the lower it is, the less impact food has on blood sugar levels and protects against this metabolic disease.
However, most alkaline foods, especially fruits, vegetables and legumes, have the advantage of having a low glycemic index, as do whole grains, foods present in acidic foods when whole foods are out of the question.
It is recommended to increase the portion of fruits, vegetables, legumes and seeds in the daily diet, knowing that raw vegetables have more alkalizing power than cooked ones. Ideally, The ratio between acidic and alkaline foods should be 40/60 to 20/80.
Disadvantages of alkaline diet
In itself, the acid-base diet has no disadvantages for health and the body because it does not exclude any class of food: it recommends maintaining a good ratio between acidic foods and alkaline ones to achieve a balance. Hence it does not lead to nutritional deficiency.
On the other hand, it can seem tedious to constantly refer to food lists and check whether your plate composition is in line with the recommended 70-30. Ultimately the victims are the people fragile bowel Gradually increase the amount of fruits, vegetables and legumes in their diet to avoid the risk of abdominal pain, bloating and diarrhea due to fiber.
But diet is not enough to balance your body: If it becomes acidic due to excessive consumption of acidic foods, other factors also come into play: a Poor sleep, physical inactivity, stress and lack of hydration. At the same time, therefore, you need to take care of your lifestyle by doing 30 minutes of moderate activity every day such as brisk walking, taking care of your sleep for 7 and 8 hours of rest every night. ., treat your stress through exercise or relaxation techniques and by drinking the equivalent of 1.5 to 2 liters of water per day.
No to diet, yes to WW!
Example of a typical acid-base diet day
- green tea;
- Red Fruit Bowl;
- Lentil Flour Waffles;
- Nut butter.
- Raw vegetables seasoned with lemon juice and rapeseed oil. ;
- salmon steak;
- whole rice;
- A handful of almonds.
- A mix of chickpeas and semolina;
- cooked vegetables;
- A white cheese.