Serves: 4 – Preparation: 5 minutes – Cooking: 15 minutes – Refrigeration: 5 days – Freezing: No
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) canola oil
- 4 salmon steaks, about 150-200g each, skin on
- 30ml (2 tbsp) clarified butter (or a mixture of butter and vegetable oil)
- 3 medium yellow beets, cooked, peeled and chopped
- 10 ml (2 tsp.) salted herbs
- A chopped shallot
- Roughly chop 3 cloves of garlic
- 45 ml (3 tsp.) capers
- 2 medium red beets, cooked, peeled and chopped
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) honey
- 45 ml (3 tsp.) lemon juice
- Two knobs of butter
- 60 ml (1⁄4 cup) chopped dill
- 125 ml (1⁄2 cup) sour cream
Heat oil in a medium pan and add salt to the salmon pieces. Place the steaks, skin side down, and cook until the skin is crisp and the salmon is cooked halfway through, about 7 minutes. Flip the pieces and continue to cook for a minute. Booked.
Meanwhile, in a second skillet, heat clarified butter over medium-high heat. Add the beets and salted herbs then fry for about a minute. Add the shallots and garlic then fry for another two minutes. Add capers and honey and continue cooking for 2 minutes. Deglaze with lemon juice, reduce until dry. Combine the knobs of butter and sprinkle with chopped dill and mix gently. Booked.
Divide sour cream among 4 serving plates. Garnish with salt, pepper and a few sprigs of dill. Place a salmon steak on a plate and garnish with beet salsa. Season with salt and pepper to taste, serve immediately.